Advanced Communication Series
Specialty Speeches (Rev.10/2013)
- Develop an awareness of situations in which
you might be called upon
to deliver an impromptu speech.
- Understand how to prepare for impromptu speaking.
- Use one or more patterns t approach a topic under discussion; for example,
comparing a past, present, and future situation or before and after.
- TIME: Five to seven minutes
- Identify and understand the basic differnces and similarities between inspirational speeches and other kinds of speeches.
- Learn how to evaluate audience feeling and
establish emotional rapport.
- Develop a speech style and delivery that
effectively expresses inspirational
content by moving the audience to adopt your
- TIME: Eight to ten minutes
- Understand the relationship of sales techniques to persuasion.
- Skillfully use the four steps in a sales presentaion: attention, interest,
- Identify and promote a unique selling proposition
in a sales presentation.
- Be able to handle objections and close a
- TIME: Ten to twelve minutes
- Arrive at an understanding of the elements
that comprise oral interpretation
and how it differs from preparing and giveng
- Learn the preparation or planning techniques
of effective interpretaion.
- Learn the principles of presentation and
develop skill in interpretive
reading with regard to voice and body as
instruments of communication.
- TIME: Twelve to fifteen minutes
- Focus on the special occasion talk from the standpoint of the introducer
(function chair, toastmaster, master of ceremonies).
- Become knowledgeable and skilled in the functions
associated with the
master of ceremonies.
- Handle the introduction of other speakers
at a club meeting
- TIME: The duration of a club meeting (To be arranged with the VPE)